Wednesday, March 4, 2020

“the one who can’t help it will always be mad”: Two Ivans, Our Cheevers and Ourselves


The trees of Poughkeepsie and notes in  Don Quixote.


Early in Book XV of the Second Part of Don Quixote, Tome Cecial, a neighbor of Sancho and the squire of Sansón Carrasco, poses a question to Carrasco:
“So tell me now, who’s crazier: the man whose crazy because he can’t help it or the man who chooses to be crazy?
Carrasco replies:

“The  difference between those  two madmen is that  the one who can’t help it will always be mad, and the one who chooses can  stop whenever he wants to.” (p. 549.).
Are Hamlett’s  fits an  act or was he really losing himself as events of his life spun beyond reach?
I’ve always had a hunch it was the latter, rather than the former.
Especially this these days, looking at my his life, my life.
Days of activism, teaching, kids growing up and away, spouse contending for her  own  needs, the mama bear, amongst our family, taking care of the bear cubs, fending off assaults from all sides.
Anxiety started crawling in me the week before as charges ebbed and flowed, before eventually being dropped for my misdemeanor charge for Swarm the Senate.
And then the pipeline action  Friday and then Saturday, blocking the natural gas pipeline Friday, in  which a voice inside said  not today.
Sitting there, something inside said walk.
Direct action need not necessarily mean arrest.
I walked away after the action.
We all have  our secrets  and hopes, fears and worries,  ebbing against each other and the  limits of  ourselves.
I had an image of Julian Assange, hidden away.
And this time, I said to everyone, I gotta go.
Everyone was  talking  about the virus.
Will it bring us together or tear us apart, wondered Donna in her sermon on Sunday at Judson.
I was  still thinking about dinner the night before as everyone told their immigration stories,  migrations,  quarantines, one guest was caught coming from Ecuador.
Another, Luis, watched the Cubans tell his parents they had an hour to leave,
  But his older brother could not come with them.
That was 1969.
Luis was a kid.
His older brother wouldn’t leave for another thirty days, in some ways still the 12 year old they’d left behind.
The sophies choices of our lives tear and pull.
Could any of us make them?
Nick talked about Thea’s parents, wondering if there is anything else left for them in this world after she left two years ago.
Most of us would feel the same way if we experienced the suicide of a daughter.
Why are we here and she’s gone?
What’s the point?
Its not hard to wonder. 
Donna kept on preaching.
Nobody knows.
We will reach for knowledge.
All that’s hidden will be seen.
I’m sitting by Barbara, one of the avant garde artists who were part of the old Judson movement research.
She’s not really Christian, but comes for the community of it.
Ancient Testimony, Luke 8:17:
“For there is nothing hidden that will be disclosed and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.”
Reveal what is hidden.
But what if we don’t know what  it is?
The kids and I ate huevos rancheros before church, reading the papers.
The panic, conflicting information about the virus  is only accelerating.
Wash your hands, eat vitamins, fist bump when you greet people.
Don’t touch.
Let our anxieties come between us.
Fears of getting hurt again.
Repulsion, desire.
Infection.
Friends favor and forget.
After Judson, I grabbed a train to Poughkeepsie to see Rob.
Watching the water on the way,
Reading more Quixote.
Wondering about what will become of us all.
A friend only in town but for so long.
We talk about the trees we see, the way they bend in the light.
The squirrels and the birds, dueling for food, the students, and stories and life here.
Turning 50, turning a new page.
When Rob moved to  New York, he was reading John  Cheever’s letters:
Cheever’s son found the stories of his bisexual father, ushered into the practice by his brother. Childhood memories are hard to shake.
Incestuous moments, unhappy ties, too much drink, Cook pauses,
I  think.
“Have you read “Goodbye My Brother?” asks Rob, referring to Cheever’s best story from the August 25, 1951 issue of the New Yorker.
It reminds me of you and your brothers.”
“Sibling rivalry and queerness,  I like  Cheever a lot more  than Updike,” I reply.
“Leslie told me to read, The Tale of How Ivan Quarreled with Ivan by Gogol.’
“Great story” says Rob, later that night on the way back to the city.
Writes Gogol:
“The room into which Ivan Ivanovich stepped was quite dark, because the shutters were closed and the sunbeam that penetrated through a hole in the shutter was broken into rainbow hues and painted upon the opposite wall a multicolored landscape of thatched roofs, trees, and clothes hanging in the yard, but all upside down. This made an uncanny twilight in the whole room.”
Looking out at the Hudson, the winter, passing Ossining, where the Cheever dwelled,
On the way back to Grand Central.
Reading away:
“No man is friend to his friend:
Their canes are turned  into lances;” writes Cervantes.
“Bedbugs  are passed from friend to friend.”
They certainly are, I think, thinking about family and friends,
The ways we drive each other to fits.
On the way home, where the fears of what was mingle with hopes for what is going to be,
And  what isn’t of those dreams for a break,
Yet, even now wounds and memories dwell.
…. burns burns burns, that ring of fire. 
We love each other and hurt each other,
Over and over, this time worse.
Losing and hurting and confiding and forgiving and aching on and on and on…
Not sure what to do or how to feel or what the answer is,
Sometimes we all lose our minds.
Shortly after turning fifty, my dad had a series of nervous breakdowns when I was living with him in high school.
After each, he’d drive in his car from Dallas to the family farm in Bridgeborough, Ga, where he could be alone for a few days, back at the scene of the crime,  where his dad beat him after  the war.
He wouldn’t call anyone, not even his brother, who endured the same even worse.
“Why didn’t you call,” asked his brother’s sister.
“I’m losing my mind,” he told  her. 
“Well, I just can’t accept that,” she replied.
“Well, I do not give a  damn,” he responded.
I always admired his candor,  but wondered what  drove him to that.
Dancing with Thanatos these days,
Thinking about Spalding’s resting spot,
 I  feel like I know.
I’m not sure if we have an answer, but maybe a replay to Cecial’s inquiry.
“the one who can’t help it will always be mad…”

So will the rest  of us. 





















































































8 comments:

  1. Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,
    the reason why most people are finding it difficult
    to enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medical
    report, drugs and medical treatment which is not
    helpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently
    Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy.
    Thank you.

























    Herbal Penis Enlargement product is 100% guarantee to Enlarge and get a better ERECTION ,
    the reason why most people are finding it difficult
    to enlarge Penis is because they bedlieve on medical
    report, drugs and medical treatment which is not
    helpful for Penis Enlargement . Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily Enlarge your Penis permanently
    Contact Dr Olu via Email : Drolusolutionhome@gmail.com or via WhatsApp : +2348140654426 for Natural root and herbal remedies put together to help you get Enlarge and Erect healthy.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless Dr ojoka for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2011 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr ojoka how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the herbal medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him in 2 weeks and 3 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr ojoka truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through email:{dr.ojokarootandherbal@gmail.com or whats app/call +2348144172934} check his blog: https://perfectherbalcure.blogspot.com/  check his blog: https://penisherbalenlarge.blogspot.com/ FB page https://www.facebook.com/Sayo-Herbal-Healer-100145798345000/ 










































































































































      God bless Dr ojoka for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2011 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr ojoka how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the herbal medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him in 2 weeks and 3 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr ojoka truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through email:{dr.ojokarootandherbal@gmail.com or whats app/call +2348144172934} check his blog: https://perfectherbalcure.blogspot.com/  check his blog: https://penisherbalenlarge.blogspot.com/ FB page https://www.facebook.com/Sayo-Herbal-Healer-100145798345000/ 

      Delete
    2. [HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
      I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on Email at drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
      he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE






































      [HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
      I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on Email at drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
      he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE

      Delete

    3. Hello everyone am here to give my testimony about how Dr LOSA brought
      back my happiness.Dr LOSA have really be a good man to me, he help
      me cured my herpes virus after two years of suffering and now am a
      living testimony to the world and my family are now happy again
      just like before all because of the herbs Dr LOSA prepare for me.
      Dr LOSA is a well recognized herbal doctor all over the world,
      he is very important in the society because he have the cure and
      treatment to all kinds of diseases,and bring back my happiness within
      the space of 21 days.If you also need his help you can contact him
      via email: dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or whatsapp his +2349056464736

      He cure listed diseases

      CANCER

      HEPATITIS A AND B

      DIABETIC.

      HERPES

      HIV CURE























































      Hello everyone am here to give my testimony about how Dr LOSA brought
      back my happiness.Dr LOSA have really be a good man to me, he help
      me cured my herpes virus after two years of suffering and now am a
      living testimony to the world and my family are now happy again
      just like before all because of the herbs Dr LOSA prepare for me.
      Dr LOSA is a well recognized herbal doctor all over the world,
      he is very important in the society because he have the cure and
      treatment to all kinds of diseases,and bring back my happiness within
      the space of 21 days.If you also need his help you can contact him
      via email: dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or whatsapp his +2349056464736

      He cure listed diseases

      CANCER

      HEPATITIS A AND B

      DIABETIC.

      HERPES

      HIV CURE

      Delete
    4. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542 

      Delete

  2. HELLO EVERYONEI’M SO GRATEFUL TO DR. ONUWA FOR CURING ME COMPLETELY FROM HERPES VIRUS . I WAS TOLD I HAVE HERPES IN 2011, I HAVE BEEN TAKING DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEDICATION STILL YET NO IMPROVEMENT UNTIL I SAW TESTIMONIES OF DR. ONUWA CURING HERPES, DIABETES, HIV AND OTHER DISEASE I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT CONTACTING HIM BUT I ALSO KNEW THE IMPORTANCE OF HERBAL MEDICINE, I MADE UP MY MIND AND CONTACTED HIM WE TALKED ON PHONE AND HE PREPARED AND GAVE ME MEDICINE WHICH I TOOK ACCORDING TO HIS DOSAGE INFORMATION. NOW I’M SO HAPPY I’M CURED FROM HERPES MY HEART IS SO FILLED WITH JOY, THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. ONUWA . IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND YOU HAVE HERPES OR ANY KIND OF DISEASE CONTACT HIM TODAY EMAIL:DRONUWA2@GMAIL.COM .. HE CURE LISTED DISEASES CANCER HIV ALS EX BACK JOB OPPORTUNITY HEPATITIS A AND B DIABETIC. ETC

    ReplyDelete

  3. What a great testimony is this about doctor losa 5 months ago i was seaching for a doctor who would help me too cure my Hsv and i went to facebook to search for doctors and i saw different herbal doctors but i was scared but i contacted doctor losa to just try my luck i never knew he was a great man and man of his words i told him my problems and he sent me his product and told me the instruction on how i will be taking it after 3 weeks i went for medical check up and the news was the greatest testimony i ever heared confirmed negative.and you can contact him on is EMAIL dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com or his whatsapp number +2349056464736

    ReplyDelete
  4. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up your mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address:: Blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com or whatsapp: +1 (620) 307-3174

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address::  Blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com  or whatsapp: +1 (620) 307-3174

    ReplyDelete