Monday, August 17, 2020

Strange Bedfellows and Bike Rides

 


Sites and scenes from a quiet week in August. 

In the second act of The Tempest, Trinculo encounters Caliban.

Walking on an unknown island, he’s lost and so is Caliban, the monster.

Gradually, the two become acquainted, two worlds colliding.

Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows,” says Trinculo.

 

Sometimes when we’re lost, we are forced to look at each other,

to see each other, to talk.

 

The virus finds us.

Reminding us.

 

Tuesday, we tried to imagine a way outside a rezone Brooklyn.

No more big boxes, lets have spaces where we see each other, public spaces with streetcorner societies.

 

Only the dead know Brooklyn, I thought riding to see Billy at Greenwood Cemetery on Wednesday.

 

Looking like Jimmy Dean, he told me stories about encounters, selling encyclopedias in New Orleans, recalling dancers who recognized him at Show World, reading French poetry, along other forking paths from 42nd street to sunset park.

 

As the day passed, we moved from

Gowanus to Sunset Park, out to Manhattan up to 181st street, out to Pelham, back to Brooklyn,  back home at sunset, after an afternoon of food distribution.

 

Nekesha Lewis writes:

“The Judson Food Bank continues weekly distribution of family sized grocery boxes with door-to-door deliveries at Baruch Houses, home deliveries to the Bronx and Queens throughout the day and onsite pickup at Judson later this evening.

Feel free to come by Judson and pick up a box of fresh produce this evening between 5:30pm and 7pm to arrange a pick up for tomorrow, July 13.

Huge thanks to Benjamin Shepard and his daughter, Dodi - for volunteering to do our long haul deliveries to the Bronx last week and again this week!”

 

All afternoon Wednesday, more meals, more friends.

Thinking about what Billy said earlier.

What people don’t see is the same knee that was on George Floyd’s neck will be on all of us, says Billy, referring to climate chaos.

 

Friday,

Up to Bryant Park,

Back to Brighton Beach

Sitting on the beach, reading Haruki Murakami’s

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage,

Stories of Tokyo, losing and finding friends,

Navigating the subways from Shibuya Station,  a desperately existential experience.

“As we go through life we gradually discover who we are, but the more we discover, the more we lose ourselves.”

 

We lose ourselves and find something else,

Riding in the Critical Mass,

Streetriders Justice Ride Number XI,

Meeting at the African Burial Ground.

Meeting friends, making new ones, running into old students,

“All men fall back!!!!”

#blacklivesmatter

Riding up to Union Square with 5000 new friends,

Talking about the old critical masses,

Looking at the city.

Bodies in motion.

 

Debating voting.

Please vote in person.

Please put on the mask and do it.

 

Greeting Ken and Roger and Jessica and Natalie, riding into the evening again.

Strange bedfellows on the ride.

 

Going back to 2046 later that night, one of the most beautiful movies I’ve ever seen.

Set in Hong Kong, 1966.

“Everyone who goes to 2046 has the same intention, they want to recapture lost memories. Because in 2046 nothing ever changes. But, nobody knows if that is true or not because no-one has ever come back.

 

It was a drizzly Sunday, plans canceled, everything closed.

This is getting old, I think,

 scrolling through social media, I see I’m not the only one feeling a little down and out.

 

Lara B. Sharp posts:

“I rarely admit things like this, but today was a really, really rough day for me. 
I miss socializing, so much... Today, I want to go to the beauty salon and get everything done.
I miss fine dining, and coffee shops, and dive bars, and traveling, and live performances, and I miss art openings, and riding the subways, and thrift shopping, and smiling at strangers, and being super busy, and I miss random conversations with weird and wonderful women in the ladies toilets... and most of all, I miss Actually HUGGING My Friends.
Some days are much harder than others.
… I just feel angry and sad, and all I really want is my pre-pandemic life back.
I don’t want to see anymore masked faces.
I don’t want to see anymore unmasked faces.
I’m sick of conspiracies and greed and politics and deaths, and grief.
I’m fed up with Fear.
I’m done with tweets and likes and texts, and live feeds, and FaceTime and Zoom time, and phone screens, and computer screens, and TV screens... and plastic screens.
I miss lipstick and parties, and saying, ‘try my drink, it’s so good’, and I just want my old life back.
Today, I’m not feeling at all grateful for the good things that I have, or for any of my many privileges.
It’s ok to feel this way, sometimes. It’s definitely ok. This is all very difficult, for all of us.

 Me too I post in reply, looking back at the movie.

(Zhang Ziyi) "Why can't it be like before? Please don't go. Stay with me tonight. Let me borrow you."

Chow Mo Wan: “Take care. Maybe one day you'll escape your past. If you do, look for me.

 

A gorgeous lonely, in splashes of color, I remember Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Reading about Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage,

Falling asleep listening to Prospero reminding us we are all players in this magic circle. 














































































































































 




































4 comments:

  1. I’m so happy to testify of the good work of Dr CHO-CHA I Suffer from Herpes virus since 2007 and i had frequent symptoms in my private area, after some time it will go away after using acyclovir drugs, then come back after some months. it was disheartening since i have been diagnosed, but after finding Dr CHO-CHA and his reviews i was convinced that he will definitely cure me and so i contacted and he told me how to get his medicine and using it for just 14 days and i will go and check up and first i said how can that be possible but i used his herbal medicine after making purchase and truly i used it and went for the test again, and my result came back negative. so i made it a task to share this good testimony in the internet so that those sick can benefit and get cured.Email:(chochaherbalarenaforhealing@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guaranteed to cure Herpes Virus, The  main reason why most people are finding it difficult to get cured from HSV 1& 2  is because they believe on medical treatment, i want you to know that drugs and medical treatments is not helpful to cure HSV permanently but it can only help you control it but the truth is in life time it will still be inside your nervous system, But Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 2 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr. OKITI . Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Dr. OKITI herbal medication helped me and cured me from herpes virus permanently and I’m so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful African Herbalist called Dr. OKITI by reaching him via email: Drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com or call/whatsapp him at +234 705 067 0365. Thank you so much Dr. OKITI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

    ReplyDelete