Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Bikini Kill, Viv Albertine, and Songs of Summer #bikinikill #rebelgirl #riotgrrrl

On the way to Bikini Kill with two of three @cannibalgirlsnyc! — in New York, New York.
Half my heroes were in the audience. Everybody was there - Anna, Brennan, Monica, Virgina. Thanks Kathleen!! Thanks Bikini Kill!
Bikini Kill, REBEL GIRL, w Joan Jett, Kings Theater, BK,6/4/19. Bikini Please Kill Me. Amaze. #bikinikill #rebelgirl #riotgrrrl
Photo by Brennan Cavanaugh 
         
 All summer long, the talk has been music and fashion, food and travel, activism and Viv. 

“For those in a hurry … Sex references: here, here, here, here, here, here Drugs references: here, here, here, here Punk rock references: here, here, here, here, here,”
― Viv Albertine writes early in the book.
A poignant story about music and growing up, feminism and culture, its perhaps the best music biography I have ever read.  Certainly, the best memoir.
Its  all there. 
Viv squats, grows up, meets Mic, of the Clash, in  the mid-1970’s.
Off and on, they march through the punk years.
He’d take the train to see her.
Often in vein.
Hence the  name of the Clash’s best song,
Referring to  their best song,
“Typical Girls.”
More than  this,  it’s a story about growing  up,
Having kids,
Abortions,
Cancer and resiliency.
And being human.

I think about it and her every day,
Alternately full of anguish or joy.
Our teenager told me about the book.

I told her about Riot Grrrl.
We watched a documentary about the movement when she was in  7th grade.
She didn’t say anything.
The next week, she asked that we watch it again.
A narrative girls and music, autonomy and feminism,
She was gripped with DiY culture.

Last night, we went to see the seminal band of this movement, Bikini Kill at the Kings Theater on Flatbush.
The teenager, her sister, and Maya, of the Cannibal Girls together.

My first show was the Dead Kennedy’s when I was in 7th grade.
We brought the 7th grader along.
Wearing  pink and green pants,
A pleather jacket,
And  white platform boots.

Are there going to be more people your  age or my age asked the little one?

Walking inside the majestic theater, the answer was somewhere in between,
Although a lot of my friends were at the show.

The music did not all translate.
And we were separated from the mosh pit, because  of the seating.
But I loved hearing Kathleen Hanna talk.
And when she introduced Joan Jett, the theater erupted.

“Rebel Girl” she played, Kathleen singing along, the kids dancing  in their seats.

“That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood
She's got the hottest trike in town
That girl, she holds her head up so high
I think I wanna be her best friend, yeah
Rebel girl, rebel girl
Rebel girl you are the queen of my world
Rebel girl, rebel girl
I think I wanna take you home
I wanna try on your clothes, uh
When she talks, I hear the revolution
In her hips, there's revolution
When she walks, the revolution's coming
In her kiss, I taste the revolution
Rebel girl, rebel girl
Rebel girl you are the queen of my world
Rebel girl, rebel girl
I know I wanna take you home
I wanna try on your clothes, uh
That girl thinks she's the queen of the neighborhood
I got news for you, she is!
They say she's a dyke, but I know
She is my best friend, yeah
Rebel girl, rebel girl
Rebel girl you are the queen of my world
Rebel girl, rebel girl
I know I wanna take you home
I wanna try on your clothes
Love you like a sister always
Soul sister, rebel girl
Come and be my best friend
Will you, rebel girl?
I really like you
I really wanna be your best friend
Be my rebel girl
Songwriters: Kathleen Hanna / Billy Karren / Tobi Vail / Kathi Wilcox

Be my rebel girl.

Thanks for reminding us we can all be our own DiY heroes.
Thanks Bikini Kill!!!!

 














1 comment: